Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Unread postby willow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:30 am

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/06/ ... hs236.html

"Lest familiarity with alcohol engenders complacency," says a Lancet editorial, "consider the example of Russia — where in some industrial cities, adult workers may drink one bottle of vodka per day."

A paper in the journal's series shows that if "associations with alcohol consumption are causal, then over half of deaths in men aged 15 to 54 years during 1990-2001 in the three Russian cities studied were due to alcohol," says the editorial, possibly helping to explain why the life expectancy of Russian men is just 59 years.
god bless the russians...

this shit is a plague on our species and we target other narcotics with much smaller fatality rates, but

"The data have been coming out on this kind of thing for years and because alcohol is our favourite drug, we kind of put it away in a too-hard basket or one we don't believe," Stockwell, who was not involved in the study, said from Victoria.

but then i dont drink so... what do you guys think?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/10/ ... glist.html a list of articles and studies applicable to canada, im annoyed cbc is usually good at linking to the study pdf >.<
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Unread postby Inferno » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:17 am

Put cigarets on your blacklist too and I'm with you. A drink here or there can't hurt, damn even getting pissed once or twice a month is OK, but drinking every day? And kids the age of 13 drinking? In Germany, there was even a 12 year old who died from drinking.
Anyway, off to the local bar. ;)
Inferno

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby willow » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:22 am

i still find it funny in vancouver, the police will bust you for having a beer open in public but wont even give you a glance if your smoking a joint. im not a big fan of smoking but i think our countries anti smoking laws are going a tad too far, given theres no logic to there public health argument, and smoking is on a steady downward trend. drinking not so much.
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Unread postby roid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:58 am

i must say that after this, i have tried to drink less.
Or at least i try to keep in mind the damage i might be doing to myself when i pour myself another one.
roid

Reputation point: 0

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:11 pm

This is the part I hate if you drink small amounts, and don't try for a bottle of vodka a day there is little risk. It does come back to common sense. What about the french paradox:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby notma » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:43 pm

I have russian friends and they go shopping in the winter and in every shop you get a shot of hot vodka, they maintain (contrary to medical belief) it stops you getting hypothermia at sub zero temperatures. People think the Irish drink alot, but the truth is we are just bad at it, most russians would drink most Irish people under the table inside an hour.
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby dr210077 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:51 pm

notma wrote: most russians would drink most Irish people under the table inside an hour.

I'll take that pepsi challenge :)
/warms up drinking arm
/puts bottle of potien under sofa
We can use one shot of vodka against one shot of "Irish vodka" I take it?
"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

"What has been said of [God] is either unintelligible or perfectly contradictory; and for this reason must appear impossible to every man of common sense." ~ Paul-Henri baron d'Holbach
dr210077
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reputation point: 2145

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:32 pm

LMFAO Dr is actually the chuck norris of drinking.

I don't disagree that russians can drink allot, the problem comes from the fact the French attribute their good heath, despite an appalling diet, to drinking wine in moderation. Russians eat quite well lots of fish, and soups yet pickle themselves through heavy drinking.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby notma » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Come to think of it most the people I hang out with drink a lot, I must to some vestigating to find some common link that is making them do this :geek:
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby willow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

notma, i think that the russians heavy use of vodka comes from the fact that it doesnt freeze at 40 below, unlike water. this is why in the winter many russian soldiers carried vodka in there canteen instead of water.
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Next

Return to Science and Technology