Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally?

Unread postby notma » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 am

willow wrote:notma, i think that the russians heavy use of vodka comes from the fact that it doesnt freeze at 40 below, unlike water. this is why in the winter many russian soldiers carried vodka in there canteen instead of water.

I don't think this comes into it when your shopping for Prada in modern day Moscow :lol:
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:49 am

notma wrote:I don't think this comes into it when your shopping for Prada in modern day Moscow :lol:

HAHAHA maybe it does, the stess of all that shopping!
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby willow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:27 pm

perhaps but you do it for a few centuries it kinda becomes a cultural thing :P that or its just so depressing living in russia that you need the vodak....

sniffle i wanna go to russia
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 am

I seen a doctor on a Nova show (PBS) who was a certified practicing emergency room physician in Indiana for over 10 years. He said he has seen more death, suffering, and pain caused by alcohol consumption than all other drugs combined!

And meanwhile marijuana is illegal, alcohol is not. Senseless.

"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Re: Study: drinking caused 1 in 25 deaths globally

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 am

it is pretty interesting how such a traditional delicacy can be so volatile. of all the drugs out there, alcohol can be made and distributed in the greatest quantities, with the greatest potency, and the lowest cost, and just about anywhere in the world (except for maybe muslim countries). i don't want to say that alcohol is a curse because i love it and haven't had any real problems with it, but it definitely ruins a lot more lives than crack, speed, heroin, and even cigarettes. cigarettes may cause more deaths, but alcohol is much more destructive of a chemical than tobacco.

Imagine how many kids would die in car accidents or even from getting sick if they all got baked on columbian doobies instead of getting blitzed on beer bongs after the varsity homecoming football game (american slam the shit out of people football game for non americans). Not that anyone really thinks weed should be banned or is as bad as alcohol, but i thought i'd throw that out there.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby notma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 am

HalloweenWeed wrote:I seen a doctor on a Nova show (PBS) who was a certified practicing emergency room physician in Indiana for over 10 years. He said he has seen more death, suffering, and pain caused by alcohol consumption than all other drugs combined!

And meanwhile marijuana is illegal, alcohol is not. Senseless.

Good idea , make alcohol illegal :P
There is no god, Nature sufficeth unto herself; in no wise hath she need of an author.
notma

Reputation point: 380

Unread postby roid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 pm

are you serious notma?
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 pm

That's a little harsh notma, there would be alot of single people if it were not for alcohol! Also there would be no sense at all to Cheech and Chong if it were not for the green green grass.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby roid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Honestly the human population would likely be a lot less if it weren't for alcohol.
Humanity's Aphrodisiac of choice for thousands of years
roid

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:19 pm

notma wrote:Good idea , make alcohol illegal :P

I hope you were being cynical, knowing you, I think you were, anyway: Did you know about prohibition in the US (circa 1920s, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_USA)?
A side note: 3.2% beer is still the only beer available in certain counties of the US, and in others you have to get real strong beer in liquor stores, only open certain hours (usually only until 10p). There were 'dry counties' in the 80s too, don't know if they still exist as such.

And for everyone elses behalf as well, regarding incarceration & punishment, I reference this thread:
http://www.rationalskepticssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=586&p=11064&hilit=incarceration#p11064
No, incarcerating more people is not the way to go. We need to completely reverse this trend.
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology