Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Unread postby willow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:52 pm

I believe acording to the news recently here, although i could be mistaken, that tamiflu only delays flu symptom onset rather then preventing you from catching the flu.
dirty work... the right google key words...
-willow 07/22/09
willow
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 932

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Depends on the type of vaccine. Willow is correct in that tamiflu is only a delay, not a cure. Others that force you to generate the correct antibodies early will lessen the flu symptoms considerably.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 am

"Baxter admits flu product contained live bird flu virus"

In the link below is the full story, all about the pharmacutical company that accidentally put H5N1 into a seasonal flu vacine.

I am not a great one for conspiricys but I have long suspected it would be quite possible for some ailments to be created. To help boost a profits in a slow year.

In the IT world it has been a long accepted rule that most virus infections, 'accidentally' escape from viral labs. Usually having been created only to test the robustness of software.

Anyway maybe quality control was just sleeping, or these were made the Friday before New Years and everyone was thinking of what outfit to wear.

Full Story
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 pm

I hear that charge of the health industry often, but I cannot really lend it any creedence. The thought seems sound - good business for these people are sick people. Make people sick and you have an endless run of customers, right?

Yeah, but that leaves out something big, really big. The elephant in the room, so to speak. People are always sick. Not all of us at once and not all of us all the time. But enough of us are sick enough of the time that hospitals are never empty. The fact of the matter is that the health industry does not have a bias to make us sick if only because there is always another sick individual out there to treat. Basically, it's through-put that they need to concentrate on - getting people in, treated, and having them leave. We will never be at a time when the medical industry is obsolete or unneeded. We will always have some disease or some physical problem that requires medical attention. They don't need to make us sick - we're good at that on our own.

That said, this error that they committed is not part of some grand conspiracy to make us sicker so they can make more money. That's the wrong thing to take from it. Rather, think about what they are admitting - that their internal processes are so relaxed and so jumbled that they allowed a cultured virus into the flu vaccine doses. This is ridiculous and prompts the call for independent review of their labs and strict regulatory review of their operations to make sure that they adhere to safe handling, labelling, and testing protocols. The sickness part is a red herring - they need to be taken to task for such poor systems operation.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Previous

Return to Science and Technology