Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Now, tell me- are you getting the shots, or shot, or none? Are you understanding the shots being made, by that matter, in regards to the swine flu (or H1N1, Grippe A, or other- depending on what country you're in)... What is your opinion and thoughts about this.

Here is an article to start out the thread. It gave me a nice little laugh this morning:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/columnists/Confusion+spreading+faster+than+itself/2113994/story.html

Note: I put this in Science and Technology, but it could easily have gone in any other forum sector.

Zo3.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Re: Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Not a chance, it seems that this is a flu variant that has been spun by the media out of all control, like bird flu, SARS, ibola.

When copy is slow, find a killer disease that will be a global pandemic. That will sell!
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Lol. Well, I'm most definitely not getting it either, but I was curious to know other people's opinion in regards to it.

A patient today at the clinic I work in happened to be a doctor in the vaccine sector. Of course, I jumped on her like a most hungry tiger on an opportunistic hunt (for curiosity's-sake and my skepticism's satisfaction):

"So, what do you think of the H1N1 vaccine?"

"I think you should get it."

"Have you gotten the shot?"

"Yes, I did."

"What about the normal flu shot?"

"I got that one too."

"Which one did you get first?"

"..."

"Because apparently if you get one of them, before the other, you may be risking your health more-so, than helping it..."

"Well, I think everyone should get both. Are you planning on taking your shots?"

"Well, I've not had a vaccine since I was... oh, five or so, from my recollection, so really I doubt I need it. My immune system can deal with quite enough I think. With time it's strengthened, I'm not so sure I'm interested in getting either of them really."

".......(she added a few questions about flus and things, to try and set me in a trap I think, and then seeing her failure near at hand, she became slightly uncomfortable, changed her tone, and ended the conversation with:) Anyways, I came here for a check-up, not a discussion (/debate) about my line of work."

Well, that was quite a cold end, I'd say. I can't say she persuaded/convinced me of much...

Zo3.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Unread postby Jnthn44 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:52 pm

umm.....DOCTOR FAIL!

i heard somewhere that getting swine flu vaccine just increases the chance of getting regular flu so i'm shying away from it.
Jnthn44

Reputation point: 13

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:00 am

I probably won't get it. If only because I'm too lazy.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:48 am

DarthRavanger wrote:I probably won't get it. If only because I'm too lazy.

Laziness has it's virtues.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 am

A wise man once said:

"The early worm gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:18 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:
DarthRavanger wrote:I probably won't get it. If only because I'm too lazy.

Laziness has it's virtues.

Laziness does have its virtues; but laziness is not virtuous in ever circumstance, and is a useless (possibly self-justifying) argument in many contexts... For this context in particular though, you may indeed be right Hermes; I agree.
Zo3R3tZo

Unread postby aeon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:06 am

I'm not taking the H1N1 vaccine as it's supposed threat is seriously overhyped. Yes, it has killed people, but no more so than during a usual Flu season. However, it does effect a unusual higher number of children than the usual flu (but I'm not a kid, so I'm once again not concerned about my own health in this case) and it has hit earlier in the season than is normal. Other than that, I see no real threat from H1N1. For a historical perspective, there was a Swine flu outbreak in the mid to late 1970s. The news was screaming pandemic, yet nothing dramatic happened. There was no unusually high number of deaths during that Flu season.
aeon

Reputation point: 198

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 pm

aeon wrote:I'm not taking the H1N1 vaccine as it's supposed threat is seriously overhyped. Yes, it has killed people, but no more so than during a usual Flu season. However, it does effect a unusual higher number of children than the usual flu (but I'm not a kid, so I'm once again not concerned about my own health in this case) and it has hit earlier in the season than is normal. Other than that, I see no real threat from H1N1. For a historical perspective, there was a Swine flu outbreak in the mid to late 1970s. The news was screaming pandemic, yet nothing dramatic happened. There was no unusually high number of deaths during that Flu season.

Yay, a biochemist agrees with my point of view. I feel even more confident and reassured, than I did three minutes ago, about my opinions in regards to this recent global joke.

Welcome Aeon!
Zo3R3tZo

Next

Return to Science and Technology