Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Are you getting the shots? (flu, H1N1, swine flu, Grippe A)

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

3 people just died in the U.S from a Tamiflu-resistant strain of H1N1 in the U.S. Any thoughts?
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby MistahTom » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 am

DarthRavanger wrote:3 people just died in the U.S from a Tamiflu-resistant strain of H1N1 in the U.S. Any thoughts?

Get a damn flu shot?
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby tetropods » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 pm

MistahTom wrote:
DarthRavanger wrote:3 people just died in the U.S from a Tamiflu-resistant strain of H1N1 in the U.S. Any thoughts?

Get a damn flu shot?

Pretty much :lol:
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights. :)
tetropods
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Reputation point: 500

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:13 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:I don't visit people. I dont transmit viruses to loved ones because i never see them. As far as common consideration goes i gave up on that a while ago. So why should i be so concerned with a flu? I'm a hermit. And as far as infecting ppl thats just the way life goes. Some things are preventable, but i draw the line as soon as it gets too political. Such spontanious mass consumption of any product under such emergency gets my spidey sense's tingling. I can't help it. I guesss i have serious trust issues lol.

Hermes, you are more like me than I thought.

MistahTom wrote:I think the media and government sort of screwed the pooch with all the hype about H1N1. I'm not saying H1N1 is not bad. Basically what I'm saying is that the regular flu kills a certain amount of people. H1N1 kills a certain amount of different people. So it's just like the flu but it's lethal to a different population but there is probably some overlap.

The media made it sound like everyone was dying, which is not true. While none of us will probably die from H1N1, they made it sound like some sort of 28 Days Later type of virus. The government made too big of a deal also. I understand that they want people to take H1N1 seriously, but c'mon. There are better ways of doing it.

What IS really interesting about the H1N1 debacle, is that the makers of the vaccine were NOT able to deliver sufficient quantities of the vaccine before the epidemic level infection rate, despite having over a year to develop it, proving that a pandemic from a new virus cannot be avoided, nationally in the US, yet. So don't count on the health care system stopping a real killer virus before it's too late.

I also believe a lot of the reason the virus was over-hyped was because many officials decided that it would make a good "test" for the anti-pandemic attempts by the medical profession - to hone and tune their shortcomings for any future attempts. pandemic avoidance FAIL :lol:
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:43 pm

MistahTom wrote:

Get a damn flu shot?

Agreed.
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:08 am

HalloweenWeed wrote:
H3RM3S78 wrote:I don't visit people. I dont transmit viruses to loved ones because i never see them. As far as common consideration goes i gave up on that a while ago. So why should i be so concerned with a flu? I'm a hermit. And as far as infecting ppl thats just the way life goes. Some things are preventable, but i draw the line as soon as it gets too political. Such spontanious mass consumption of any product under such emergency gets my spidey sense's tingling. I can't help it. I guesss i have serious trust issues lol.

Hermes, you are more like me than I thought.

I quit smoking almost 2 months ago. I haven't been the nicest person since. When your mind struggles with addictions, its like a bad trip that lasts day after day. So yeah i'm even more cynical now than i used to be. Plus i have a bowl of chips on my shoulder.
Last edited by H3RM3S78 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 am

H3RM3S78 wrote:I quit smoking almost 2 months ago.

Good luck with that, defiantly the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 am

UnwantedSunbeam wrote:

Hey UnwantedSunbeam, I just seen Family guy at a motel last Monday, I see "Quagmire" is your avatar. I didn't know earlier - we don't have cable available here (not that I would pay for it anyway).
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Unread postby Intercourseman72 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:40 am

my son and i have an appointment to get that tomorrow. i think i will write my own eulogy on the way there.
read the words of a wise intercourseman
Intercourseman72

Reputation point: 541

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 am

Intercourseman72 wrote:my son and i have an appointment to get that tomorrow. i think i will write my own eulogy on the way there.

I like "Eulogy" by Tool, album: Aenema - it's cool.
HalloweenWeed

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology