Space Elevators

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Space Elevators

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 am

The idea is old, but it's suddenly entered the realm of possibility: Space Elevators. One would construct a tether 23,000 miles high and send up a robot transport vehicle to move supplies and people into orbit. The idea remained strictly science fiction until we developed Nanotubules with 100 times the strength of steel. The idea is that we would send a spool of this stuff into Geosync orbit and lower a thin cable to the ground upon which we would construct a larger nanotubule tether and then begin sending elevators up into Neo, Leo and Geostat orbit. We could also launch space craft from the end of the tether from centripedal force.

Just last week, the first successful test of the proposed robot cargo elevator was tested with success. This elevator is no feat of primative technology. It's powered by lasers which send a continuous stream of energy to collection dishes to propel the elevator.

If I have it right, we would need a tether 500 times stronger than steel, but I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify this? BTW, here's a link(s)

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa041702a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
All Comments, criticism, input are all welcome.

It just seems like we're hitting a Rennaissance in space flight. We also now have Ion/plasma propelled rockets that could get us to Mars in 39 days

http://nhttp://www.engadget.com/2009/10 ... within-39/

exus404.com/Blog/2009/10/20/round-trip-to-mars-39-days-or-less-nasa-ion-propulsion-rocket-engine-sends-you-to-mars-and-back-in-over-a-month-special-fees-may-apply/
Plus we've discovered water on the moon (apparently enough to fill the Great Lakes-minimum). It almost seems like the inner solar system is opening up to extensive exploration and colonization.
aeon

Reputation point: 198

Re: Space Elevators

Unread postby DarthRavanger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:53 am

Once we get ourselves some laser cannons, we can build TIE fighters!

And once we get the turbolasers...We can build a fleet of Imperial dreadnoughts and a class-II Imperial Star Destroyer. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SEriously though, a Space elevator would be awesome. Maybe we could start building space craft in space?
According to robots, we taste like BACON! http://www.wired.com/table_of_malconten ... identifie/

The Throne of Heaven was built my man to serve as the pedestal for nothing.
DarthRavanger
Mod Group Leader
Mod Group Leader

Reputation point: 1912

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:12 am

Maybe we could grow some space weed for HalloweenWeed. ;)
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 am

Your Earith to Mars in 39 days link seems to be broken.

Here is another.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 am

<<SEriously though, a Space elevator would be awesome. Maybe we could start building space craft in space?>>

I think that's the idea. One space craft NASA wants to build is known as JIMO (Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter). The thing is over 100 feet long and it looks vaguely like the Jupiter bound craft from '2001 Space Odessey'. It's so big that it would be really expensive to launch using conventional rockets and then assembling in space. Here's more on Jimo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Icy_Moons_Orbiter

The craft is also powered by a high energy Plasma/Ion propulsion system. The drive is in two Nacelles at the rear of the craft. Unfortunately NASA has canned this project for a few years in favor of the return to the Moon and Mars missions.
aeon

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:46 am

Hi BlueFalcon. Thanks for fixing my broken link.
aeon

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:48 am

<<Maybe we could grow some space weed for HalloweenWeed>>

It wasn't grown in space, but I had some weed that made me feel like I was on Mars :lol:
aeon

Unread postby aeon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:50 am

<<Once we get ourselves some laser cannons, we can build TIE fighters!>>

I prefered the fighters from Battlestar Galactica and Stargate SG1 personally.
aeon

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 am

Stargate FTW!

I had some weed once that made me feel like the universe.
RSS YouTube
TheBlueFalconX

Unread postby LeeShane » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 pm

A new space shipping system being urbanized could make travel to Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) a every day event and make over the global financial system.
LeeShane

Reputation point: 0

Next

Return to Science and Technology