Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise

Discussions on scientific and technological advances, both old and new.

Re: Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 am

It definately changes dirrection at some point. And its a pretty smoot transition. But not smooth enough to trick my pro eye.
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

Unread postby Zo3R3tZo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 pm

H3RM3S78 wrote:It definately changes dirrection at some point. And its a pretty smoot transition. But not smooth enough to trick my pro eye.

Your "pro eye[s]"... no offense, but I think that this clockwise, anti-clockwise video should have been spotted as bs for anyone with ANY visual acuity. Some of us may give off-the-bat credibility to a title given to what is more-or-less an innocent scam, but the transition is far from smooth, and is frankly obvious. Your "pro eyes" are best used elsewhere (-that on the other hand IS a compliment, because you do have an eye for many details- I just personnally wouldn't have intentionnally brought down their true worth in this particular thread, had I been you).

Zo3.
Last edited by Zo3R3tZo on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les possibilites de la réalité sont infinies. Seules nos pensées nous empêchent de voir une autre perspective...
Zo3R3tZo

Reputation point: 205

Unread postby Seppe Cools » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:53 pm

"A scam?"

Ok i have to make a comment on this.

Some people here are talking about a scam etc,
but can someone explain to me then how i am able to see it at a certain part going clockwise for 20 seconds and after that, when i rewind and concentrate on the same part, i can see it going counter-clockwise for these 20 seconds. Tell me...

Let's say part 1:30 till 2:00 ==> i can see it going clockwise for 30 seconds, but also seeing it going counter-clockwise for 30 seconds, depending on in which state i put my mind. - No scam.

What i can not agree on in that video is where they say which brain part is dominant and stuff: i would have an artistic / linguistic mind instead of a mathematic / scientific mind, while 100 % of the other "tests" i've ever done said otherwise. So do my experiences and talents say.
Last edited by Seppe Cools on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By creating unique stuff you are changing the future of the world forever, making your life worth lived.
Seppe Cools

Reputation point: 813

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am

I see both a times. I'm extremely convinced however that their is a version of her turning both ways, and they're sliced in and out during the moment her two legs over lap.

I've seen this before and I think this one is a different version.
I think the only real way to test whether she's turning CW or CCW is to have two+ people in the same room and have them claim what she's doing at the same time.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby A_theist » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 am

Seppe Cools wrote:Do you see the women turning Clockwise or Anti-Clockwise? Let us know.

I received this in an e-mail years back. I always see her clockwise, and if nobody told me that she could be seen counter clockwise, I probably never would have seen her going the other direction. When I learned that it's an illusion, I tried really hard and was able to see both.

BUT...

in this video, I had a much harder time finding the counter clockwise direction. The only way I can seem to switch is if I cover up the entire picture except for her single foot at the bottom. If I stare at that foot long enough, I can get her to switch directions. If I stare at her whole body... I can't get her to switch. She turns clockwise.

EDIT: And FYI @ anyone who thinks this is a scam, it's not. Because the woman is a shadow figure, you can never KNOW when she's facing FORWARDS or BACKWARDS, and that's the trick. When is she facing TOWARDS you and when is she facing AWAY from you? It's impossible to say, definitively, so it's impossible to know if her outstretched leg is in FRONT of her body or behind her body.
Last edited by A_theist on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

Unread postby A_theist » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 am

BTW, here it is. No need for a video:

Edit: And here's a news articles about this:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615
Last edited by A_theist on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/chrispalasz
Blog: http://www.teslinkorea.blogspot.com

~ "Beware the sound of one hand clapping"
~ "Evolution must be the best-known yet worst-understood of all scientific theories."
A_theist

Reputation point: 17

Unread postby HalloweenWeed » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:23 pm

A_theist wrote:EDIT: And FYI @ anyone who thinks this is a scam, it's not. Because the woman is a shadow figure, you can never KNOW when she's facing FORWARDS or BACKWARDS, and that's the trick. When is she facing TOWARDS you and when is she facing AWAY from you? It's impossible to say, definitively, so it's impossible to know if her outstretched leg is in FRONT of her body or behind her body.

No, there is an absolutely valid method of determining it: If the foot size gets smaller (pixels) as it appears to move to the rear, then that motion is correct. Often we can make these judgments unconsciously, even though they are minute differences. It's really a function of camera aspect. But if the shadow was cast against a 'curtain', she would be rotating the opposite way, as her foot shadow would get larger when it was toward the light source (i.e. further from the 'curtain').
"Religion is just mind control." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization." - George Carlin
"If God existed, why would he care about any of the us fools contributing to the end of the earth as we know it?" - HalloweenWeed
HalloweenWeed

Reputation point: 1989

Unread postby Azmodan Kijur » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Strange image. Looking at it, I can see it go both ways fairly simply. As a means of making it a trick, just repeat the direction you want it to go when the extended foot passes the leg (clockwise or counter-clockwise). For me, that alone is sufficient to alter the direction of the spin.

This is one of those things where we are meant to identify with one side of the brain from the other, with a variety of effects and conditions placed on being of one side or another. This idea tends to fail, given that the two hemispheres tend to interact quite openly regarding information and the initial direction of the spin has as much (if not far more) to do with your mood and the angle to the screen than what "side" is seeing the image.

Beyond that, most of these things are "tricks" not in that they do not have a rational explanation or such, but in that they trick the person by pressuring them to provide a particular answer. If they are unable to provide that answer, they may feel like something is off with them. Take those little questions you might have gotten in an email (chain email) that gives a mysterious sequence of numbers and requests the next number in the sequence. That is (in of itself) easy enough, but then it mentions that people that have an IQ above X are able to answer it in seconds. The unspoken implication is that, should you prove incapable of getting it in that amount of time, you are not of that level of IQ. Never mind that you might be having an off day and never mind that the answer relies on your noticing some aspect of the sequence. You are flustered to provide the answer in that time limit to "prove" that you are above a certain IQ. In much the same way, if you self describe as a Right or Left brain individual, the direction of the spin may not be what you want it to be (you might want to be creative versus logical, for example). Thus, the result is distressing in some mild way as it conflicts with how you see yourself. So I call them tricks.
Azmodan Kijur
Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Reputation point: 2055

Unread postby Grimstad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am

I can freely see it going both directions too. I also noticed if I stare at her left foot she appears to simply go back and forth and not make a full rotation.
Of all my senses, I value my sense of humor the most

agnostic: Subcategory Apetheist.
Grimstad

Reputation point: 12

Unread postby H3RM3S78 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:35 am

I find it easier to change dirrection if i cover most of the figure with another window and focus on what i want to see (seeing nothing but the tip of the foot and hand helps).
please delete this account
H3RM3S78

Reputation point: 760

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology