Atheism is NOT a religion

"Does exactly what it says on the tin."

Re: Atheism is a religion

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 am

How do I use my own smilies? One's from my MSN for example?
Example plz.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Re: Atheism is a religion

Unread postby Komadori » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 am

You'd have to copy the URL of the smiley and post as an image. If the URL is unavailable for whatever reason, you'd have to UL copies of the smilies to your site (like flickr) and then post as an image.

I'm pretty sure we can adjust the default smileys here... I'd be glad to do up a whole different set. (I prefer kaoani style, myself...)

/threadjack
The most beautiful and most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science.
-Albert Einstein
Komadori

Reputation point: 2

Re: Atheism is NOT a religion

Unread postby MistahTom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Does belief = religion?
For the same reason you reject other gods, I reject yours.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Reputation point: 1

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 pm

MistahTom wrote:Does belief = religion?

No, I would suggest that alot of people believe in god. But would not say they are religious.

Devotion is probably a closer verb, to me most religious people are completly devoted to the "faith". They change their life rules, and diets, sometime cast aside long time freinds and family members that don't follow on the same path.

So I would conclude no, I have a strong belief that salads are good for me. I am just devoted to 1/4 pounders.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby MistahTom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm

So you would agree with:

disbelief=/=religion

as well. (this is a stupid question btw)

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

Unread postby UnwantedSunbeam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 pm

No disbelief in 1 thing does not make a religion, otherwise we would have hundreds of fragmented religions only from the users of this site. For example you and I may share a common ideas on a god. However your belief towards your pets is the complete opposite to mine, so we could not be in the same group/religion because our views only slighlty overlap.

What about disbelief = a lack of convincable proof towards the ideals of someone else.

If I tell you that eating only cabage for 30 days will make you lose 50lbs, would you immedialty go on a cabbage diet. I know you would not, however some people would. Without any doubt.

So depending on how rational your mind set is, depends on the weight of proof required to tip you into the beliver camp.
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then", said the cat, "It doesn't matter.”
UnwantedSunbeam

Reputation point: 1287

Unread postby TheBlueFalconX » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:51 pm

I have a strong belief that salads are good for me. I am just devoted to 1/4 pounders.

Lol.
I guess it takes a firm belief in the invisible magician to properly sell a gun online. Who knew?-Shawna
RSS YouTube
>>An empyreal poem possessing resplendent beauty of divine descent birthed by essence is an arcanum.<<
TheBlueFalconX

Reputation point: 918

Unread postby no28 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 am

Believing in something does not a religion make.
We 'believe' in lots of things such as family, values, fiscal responsibility, inalienable rights.. yet none of these is a religion.
What does make religion what it is? A religion is a 'belief system'.

–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheism, by this definition (dictionary.com), lacks a superhuman agency, any devotional or ritual observance and has no codified morality governing human affairs.

It has the same religious qualities as those shared by a-unicorniists, a-faerieans and *gasp* a-fsmians. That is, it is a lack of the defined attributes of religion that make atheism non-religious and not belief system.
What a strange thing it is that to give proof to the lie that a god is love, one need only to resist coercion
no28

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby no28 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:04 am

unwantedsunbeam wrote:So depending on how rational your mind set is, depends on the weight of proof required to tip you into the beliver camp.

/cheer
What a strange thing it is that to give proof to the lie that a god is love, one need only to resist coercion
no28

Reputation point: 0

Unread postby MistahTom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:26 am

this guy's comments make NO SENSE. Here they are in chronological order:

This is getting boring... but:
It is a simple methodological error in not making a distinction between [..] three words that apparently do not exist in the English language [..] ... ... ...
but:
A) The common use of a word (read up in your dicitionary)
B) A scientific, idealistic, or philosophical definition (can arbitrarily be made up by anyone)
C) A realistic definition, which tries to describe the real object it refers to as accurate as possible

->
A) Debatable. Obviously, a lot of people refer to atheism as a religion or "something religious". If you look in the dictionary, the word does not match though (as shown in this video)
B) irrelevant for obvious reason, sadly often used as an argument by atheists.
C) Here it gets interesting. When you describe atheism not as an philosophical idea (B), you have to describe it as a social phenomena. Which indeed can turn out to be have features very similar to a religion or at least

a belief-based movement. That depends on which features you observe. A comparison can be legitimate.

That is different from saying that faith an skepticism/science are the same, which some religious people might claim to feel better.

Sorry for spamming 3 comments (^_^)

Reading them in this order they kinda make sense, I don't understand the guy's point. English isn't his 1st language evidently.

Atheist
Atheist
MistahTom

PreviousNext

Return to RSS Youtube Video Discussions